My daughter Sophia is turning 1 in less than a month and i want to try and make her birthday cupcakes myself. I just love the freshness of lemon in cakes and cookies and decided to give this recipe a try. Of course i mixed and match a few different recipes to come up with this cupcake. I had a lemon cupcake a few weeks ago that just left me in awe . My search for a lemon cupcake began and here it is! They came out great, except i'd like the buttercream frosting to be a little thicker and fluffier. I'll keep working on that till i get it. My husband tried them and said they were sinfully delicious!! I'll be bringing some of the cupcakes to our playdate tomorrow and see how it goes. Here's the recipe i used:
*I added a lemon cream cheese filling to the vanilla cupcakes and for that use 8oz cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon zest and some lemon juice/lemon extract. When putting it as a filling, fill cupcake liners 1/4 way with batter, put a dallop of filling and top it of with more batter until 3/4 full.
~ Vanilla Cupcakes~
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) muffin tins with cupcake papers.
In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
~ Lemon Buttercream Frosting~
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) softened
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 T lemon zest (the rind of a lemon)
- 2 T lemon juice
- mix the butter, lemon zest and vanilla together, making sure all the lumps are gone.
- by the 1/2 cup, mix in the sugar.
- once the sugar is all in the bowl, cream on "high" for two minutes. (I use this time to clean up)
- mix in lemon juice.
- spread heartily on cupcakes, and enjoy!